Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Channeling Popeye

Since it is the day after Thanksgiving and I am sure most of you are still feeling like you just stepped away from the table and that 3rd piece of pecan pie, I thought this would be the perfect day to post about my new obsession.
 ----------------------------------------

I have a confession to make. I am an extremely picker eater have very sensitive taste buds! Yes, Yes I know this is hard for my family and close friends to believe. *So laughing here* I admit I have always been picky. I am pretty sure I was born that way otherwise how would I just all of a sudden be picky? I guess you could call me D.W. :)



The ONE thing that seems to make people look at me funny when eating out is that I do not eat lettuce or anything leafy for that matter. I can't really tell you why but I do not like it AT ALL! My Mom always says "There is no taste to it." Hmm helloo yes there is and it is g.r.o.s.s!

How does all this relate to Popeye as the title says you may be asking yourself? Well last month I made a vow to get healthy. I have been very unhealthy for way too long and now that I am closing in on the big 40 I knew I had to do something about it.

Since I not the best eater I decided there had to be some way to get the good stuff without actually having to bite into it. I know I could simply smother the lettuce and other green stuff with salad dressing but since I really only like Ranch and Bleu Cheese I know that would not be helpful in my quest to healthiness.
I started looking around online and I have found the solution to my problem --- I now DRINK my greens!!

Whhaatttt??? Yep you are reading that correctly. I am drinking the good stuff now and it is in the form of a smoothie! What's not to L~O~V~E about getting the vitamins and nutrients you need via a freaking Smoothie? I say it is a win-win situation!

Here is the original recipe I found on Pinterest: Green Smoothie for Weight Loss.


Yes it is bright green but it is ohh soo yummmy and I am in love with it!

I changed up the original recipe slightly after a few taste tests to find what works best for my uber sensitive taste buds(snort) and here is what I have most mornings now.

  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup strawberries
  • 1/2 cup pineapples
  • 2 handfuls spinach
  • ice and water 


Mine is not as green because of the strawberries but it is so good! I still will not eat spinach in a salad but I will drink one of these babies each and every morning!


Notes:
~ There are many variations you can do with the fruits as long as you have the spinach and the banana as a base.
~ You can use two bananas if you want but I am not a huge banana fan so I only use one.
~ I use fresh bananas but frozen strawberries and pineapple.
~ The color will not always be bright green as you can see in my photo above. The color depends on the fruits you use.

I dare you to try your own version! You may be surprised at how much you like it and your body will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me *Smile*